Last week I discovered a newfound love for crock-pot cabbage and potatoes with spices. I was never a dear lover of cabbage, but potatoes always had my heart. I would make cabbage often for my husband and none for myself. He likes his cabbage simple with seasoning and smoked turkey meat. This time around I made it vegan-friendly! But WAIT, hear me out because it was absolutely delicious. This anti-cabbage lady discovered a newfound love for crock-pot cabbage and potatoes.
I am happy to have this healthy dish to add to my arsenal. Since I am on a healthier journey, I am attempting to make the majority of my meals at home. Bonus points since cooking is one way I can unplug and relieve a little stress.
I was so impressed with the flavors that I had to brag about it to my friends. Plus the fact I was always letting the world know how much I disliked cabbage and now this was starting to look like a lie, LOL.
The aromas coming from the crock-pot are heavenly, as you wait for the moment when the last minute is up and the beeping, if you have a crock-pot similar to the one I own, alerts you to come and scoop out a serving or two of victuals.
Oh, you aren’t sure what victuals are? Well, it’s a new word I discovered thanks to my mother-in-law. Victual means food or provisions for human beings. And I thought it was a cute word, so I am adopting it into my vocabulary. Now back to the real reason you are here.
Just a little heads up, I like to use organic produce, seasonings, etc. as often as possible. But this is not a requirement to make this dish. And if you are anything like me, I avoid going to the grocery store as much as I possibly can so I included a few links to order the seasonings below if they are not already in your cupboard.
Cabbage and Potatoes with Spices
- 1 medium organic green cabbage
- 4-6 organic white potatoes (6 potatoes if you want the ratio to be more potatoes than cabbage)
- 1 organic white/red onion
- 2 tablespoons better than bouillon vegetable base (low sodium)
- 3 tablespoons earth balance natural buttery spread (soy free)
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground fenugreek
- 1 teaspoon garam masala seasoning
- Dissolve 2 tablespoons of better than bouillon vegetable base in 2 cups of boiling water
- Dissolve 3 tablespoons of buttery spread in 1 cup of boiling water
- Slice potatoes and place in the bottom of the crock-pot
- Chop onion and place on top of potatoes
- Pour the cup of buttery spread mixture into crock-pot
- Chop cabbage to the size of your liking and add to crock-pot
- Sprinkle all seasoning on top of cabbage
- Pour the 2 cups of vegetable base mixture in crock-pot
- Cover and cook for 4.5 hours on LOW (if you like the cabbage slightly al dente) or 6 hours for softer cabbage
- Halfway through the cooking time stir ingredients to make sure everything is evenly coated.
Tips and Variations:
- Replace the vegetable base with chicken base, if desired.
- Add smoked turkey meat, sausage or corned beef and cook on high for 6-7 hours if you prefer meat with your dish.
The crock-pot cabbage and potatoes with spices can be a main or side dish. I like to let the flavors sink in overnight and eat the cabbage and potatoes the next day, but this is not necessary. If you give this recipe a try, I would love for you to comment and let me know if you enjoyed it or not. Don’t forget to pin this recipe and share it for others to give it a try or so you can find it again later. ENJOY!
From my healing heart to yours,